WineConf Agenda

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Apr 3 20:27:52 CDT 2005

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 11:08:42AM +1000, Andrew Tridgell wrote:
> I have a proposed solution for that which needs no kernel
> modifications. I have been meaning to write this up properly, so if
> you like I can do that for WineConf.

I think it would be very good to have such a discution. It seems to
me this is one performance hotpoint for both projects.

>   - for mixed directories, Win32 names will appear lowercase to posix
>     programs, but will be case preserving to Wine/Samba. Wine/Samba

This is something I don't really like: to change the filename's case
behind user's back. From my POV, it's not acceptable. I know I'd be
pissed if that happened to me.

I think we'd be much better off if we relied on some kernel feature.
The current mechanism works just fine, if you want the same behaviour,
but faster, you need such and such in the kernel. It's a much simpler
(and cleaner) case to make then to change such fundamental behaviour.

--
Dimi.