lostwages/templates/en status_ui.template

Paul van Schayck polleke at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 10:37:29 CDT 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 3:42 PM, Mike Hearn <mh at codeweavers.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 20:43:44 +0200, Jacek Caban wrote:
> > We need an implementation of WebBrowser based on MSHTML, which will be
> > possible when I finish my work on it. This way we'll be able to
> > implement shdocvw correctly (eg. it'll be possible to implement Internet
> > Explorer OLE Automation), but now it's far, far away from it and really
> > far from 100% complete.
>
> You're right, but I hope you are not writing a rendering engine from
> scratch! That would be madness. We really need to adapt Gecko to improve
> its MSHTML compatibility here.

I'm not entirely sure here what kind of compatibility you are talking.
But for actual page rendering gecko will never be mshtml compatible.
MSHTML is an incorrect implantation of the W3 standards and mozilla is
not recreating it.

This is no problem as long as exact IE replication is not needed (ie.
for simple display inside other applications). But for web designing
where people want to see IE behaviour you will never want a different
engine.

So we should always allow native shdocvw to keep IE to show the same
behaviour. As implanting shdocvw ourselves is not going to work.

Paul