Borrowing NTVFS layer from Samba4 for Wine?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Apr 14 00:48:43 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 22:32 -0700, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > I see it this way - wine will need a full NTFS redirector at some point,
> > to correctly handle remote fileystems.  Why is the local disk any
> > different from a remote redirected filesystem?  Samba could be hooked in
> > at this point (and my even assist in providing access to those remote
> > files).
>
> I suppose one could do it that way, but I was thinking
> of turning Samba4's NTVFS layer into an ELF shared library
> that could be used either by Samba or by Wine
> (or both).  That way it'd be easier to simulate local
> Windows disks accurately; doing it via Samba would make
> them seem like network disks, which sometimes wouldn't be
> good enough, I bet.

The interposition of a interprocess communication protocol should not be
visible by the Win32 application.  While we could link directly with the
backend, Samba uses it's rootly powers (as a separate deamon) to
'correct' some aspects of posix that cause us pain.

More particularly, Samba as a root deamon is correctly able to play the
role of a kernel, in managing locking databases and other inter-process
tasks.  This is why I was thinking Samba would remain largely 'as is',
but a shim library would be created that talked NotQuiteCIFS(tm) to
Samba, which then talks to whatever ntvfs backend (remote cifs, local
posix etc) is required.

Andrew Bartlett