USB status ...

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sat Apr 16 09:30:15 CDT 2005

    Lars>  What is the status of wines USB support ?

    Lars>  I have an IDE for a developement board and I really would like to
    Lars> flash it from Linux, ( I don't have windows), and this uses USB to
    Lars> talk to the board.  Is there anything done yet or am I on my own ?

    Lars>  Can someone also giva a hint on the feasibiliyt, complexity of
    Lars> managing a USB implementation for wine ? I am rather good at linux
    Lars> device drivers and such.

Not much has been done, in my understanding. The first step needed, in my
opinion, is to put much work into the SETUPAPI DLL to let USB Devices at
least enumerate. Talking the the devices then is another big step. Not many
windows programs will talk to the devices by using something like libusb. So
either something like ndiswrapper for USB would be needed in the kernel to
load windows drivers, with infrastructure in wine to to talk to the driver,
or the windows driver need to be be reengineered to exposed a API to the
user program like with windows driver, but internally use Linux means
(libusb, etc).

Perhaps at WineConf a   BOF should be held to gather bits and pieces and
ideas.

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de