Still more fun?

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 18 13:39:45 CDT 2005

Hi Rolf,

--- Rolf Kalbermatter <rolf.kalbermatter at citeng.com> wrote:
> Why would you need the .local file? Has there anything changed in XP or
> 2003 which would
> prefer Windows or system DLLs over local DLLs in the same directory as
> the calling executable?
>
> I always was under the impression that the executable directory was the
> first to be searched by LoadLibrary() for a DLL and it has worked that
> way for me in the past, too.

The behavior of LoadLibrary has changed at least once that I know of for Windows 2003. The default
search order can be set per application in the registry as well. Microsoft even does the
programname.exe.local trick with the IE5 setup wizard. Extract the IE5 wizard in to a temp folder
and lauch IE5 setup and you will see the *.exe.local file. iTunes even does it.

Thanks
Steven