Installing Mozilla

James Hawkins truiken at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 19:05:38 CDT 2005

On 4/22/05, Alex Woods <wine-devel at giblets.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 04:31:52PM -0700, Juan Lang wrote:
> > Alex wrote:
> > > I'm encountering a crash when trying to install Mozilla 1.7.7 under
> > > wine.  I am using a fresh CVS checkout, but I've tried older revisions
> > > with the same result.
> >
> > So far, this evidence points to a bug in Mozilla rather than in Wine.  It
> > may very well be triggered by a bug in Wine..
> >
> > > Here is a backtrace.  It's falling over trying to write to
> > > 0x99806858.
> >
> > Mozilla's passing an apparently invalid pointer to WideCharToMultiByte.
> > Question is, where does this come from?
> >
> > Running with WINEDEBUG=nls may give a clue what string it's trying to
> > convert, which may give some indication of the problem.  Running with
> > WINEDEBUG=relay will probably give a better clue, but be prepared for a
> > huge log.  But since the Mozilla source is available, you may be able to
> > hunt it down more easily using that.
>
> Well, I included a bit of the relay trace I did in my first email, and
> it includes the first occurance of that strange memory address (or
> anything near it for that matter).  Since it's being passed into wine
> from Mozilla, I guess you're right and it is a problem within Mozilla.

While this is always a possibility, it leaves one wondering.  Why does
Mozilla work in Windows XP but not in xp mode in wine?  Just because
Mozilla is passing a bad memory address doesn't mean it's a bug in
Mozilla.  For example Mozilla could have requested some information
from wine and we gave them the bad memory address.  Then they call
WideCharToMultiByte with the bad memory address we gave them.  Your
best bet is to find the first place this bad memory address pops up.
Having a copy of the Mozilla source would probably be a good thing for
this exercise.

--
James Hawkins