USB status ...Who maintains wineserver?

Hiji hijinio at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 10:46:23 CDT 2005

> If you want to get a scanner going, the best way
> would be to make it
> work with SANE or V4L, and then get SANE or V4L to
> work with Wine's
> still imaging interface.
>
> Have a look at the work that Maarten Lankhorst is
> doing on Web cameras
> ... he's doing things the right way.
>
> If you still want to loader the Windows driver, go
> and have a look at
> ndis wrapper. http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Conceptually, I think a combination of two solutions
would be the best solution.

* The first is obvious: bridge the gap between Wine
and the existing support (SANE, V4L, ALSA, etc.)  This
way, you don't reinvent the wheel and use what's in
existence.

* The second is not-so-obvious, but crucial: load the
Windows driver in a way that is similar to NdisWrapper
or DriverLoader (where those items are modules that
wrap around the Windows driver [I think!]).  Why is
this important?  Because the reality is that beyond
the generic USB hardware (scanner, webcam, mouse,
etc.), there won't be a Linux equivalent driver for a
specialized piece of hardware (Guitarport, DVC100, MP3
Player, etc.)

Of course, this is "easier said than done", but I
think its a good starting point for the ambitious. . .

Hiji