Wine passes WGA test

James Courtier-Dutton James at superbug.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 5 05:58:32 CDT 2005

Francois Gouget wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Also the anti wine checks appear to be disabled as the tool works in
>> both windows 2000 and windows 98 mode, however the wine registry key
>> string is still in the binary, maybe it's just disabled.
>

> IIRC it's checking the location of the old Wine config registry key.
> This has all moved as part of the config file removal (and as was
> planned long before WPA came around).
>
> No doubt they will update their WPA checks at some point...

Would it be wiser to implement a wine feature to block a particular
application from seeing a particular registry key. We could then only
allow the key to be visable to the application it would actually be
useful for. I think the MS windows registry already has this feature in
order to provide security for certain registry entries.

James