Wine passes WGA test

Felix Nawothnig felix.nawothnig at t-online.de
Fri Aug 5 09:20:35 CDT 2005

James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
>> IIRC it's checking the location of the old Wine config registry key.
>> This has all moved as part of the config file removal (and as was
>> planned long before WPA came around).
>>
>> No doubt they will update their WPA checks at some point...
> Would it be wiser to implement a wine feature to block a particular
> application from seeing a particular registry key.

I disagree. If Windows has such a feature and/or it's somehow useful in
other situations it could be implemented but doing this to get around
their Wine detection is just silly - we couldn't win that race as there
are zillions of methods to detect Wine and most of them can't be avoided
(the first thing that comes to my mind which can't be worked around in
userspace is doing a unix syscall for example).

Felix