Porting Device Drivers to Winehq

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Tue Aug 9 10:00:47 CDT 2005

On Tuesday 09 August 2005 10:19, John Shillinglaw wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can anyone point me to documentation/help or tools for disassembling
> Windows 95 drv and vxd files and/or porting them to wine??
>
> I have a Roland SCP-55 Soundcanvas card (pcmcia ) which is not
> recognized by linux

I'd start by politely asking Roland for the specs. Only if they openly refuse
it's time to start working on a linux driver. As far as using wine for the
task, I bet you might be better off instead by looking how the ndiswrapper
folks have done it for NDIS drivers. Probably there's some wine code that you
could snatch to implement something special that the driver needs, but
presumably it'll be all rudimentary low-level stuff related to interfacing
with the PCMCIA stack and so on, which is not present in wine anyway IIRC.

Disclaimer: I'd start by extending ndiswrapper, but there of course are other
ways :)

Cheers, Kuba