Porting Device Drivers to Winehq

Damjan Jovanovic dj015 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 10 04:15:20 CDT 2005

--- John Shillinglaw <jshillinglaw at hotpop.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Can anyone point me to documentation/help or tools
> for disassembling
> Windows 95 drv and vxd files and/or porting them to
> wine??
>
> I have a Roland SCP-55 Soundcanvas card (pcmcia )
> which is not
> recognized by linux, and Windows XP ( which I don't
> like using anyway )
> will not recognize the drivers when it prompts for a
> driver file.
>
> Ideally I'd like to decode the windows drivers to
> help with developing a
> pure linux driver.
>
> Barring that, it seems that I should have better
> luck with wine since it
> happly emulates and runs win 95 stuff.
>
> However, while I've found plenty in the wine docs
> about running /porting
> windows _programs_, almost nothing about what to do
> with the win 95
> *.inf *.drv *.vxd and *.ini that come in the driver
> package for the
> pcmcia card.
>
> Thanks for the help,
> John
>
> Running 2.6.12-gentoo-r6 and Wine-072505 on an IBM
> T20 Pentium III
> Thinkpad.

Hmmm... if you had a .sys file, it would be easy to
reverse engineer, since Windows WDM drivers are nicely
stacked and it is easy to insert "filter" drivers into
the stack, to monitor IRP flow. Tools like usbsnoopy
do this for USB drivers, I believe there are similar
ones that work for other drivers in general.

I never had a look at how you write VxD's, but there
is stuff in the MSDN library (it should be accessible
online, look for VDDs in the Windows DDK
documentation).

And have a look at whether the ReactOS project
supports VxD's.

Good luck, such device drivers are very ugly :-).

Damjan Jovanovic