Should all builtin DLLs have version information?

Paul Vriens Paul.Vriens at
Sun Aug 21 05:35:28 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 19:22, Detlef Riekenberg wrote:
> Paul Vriens wrote:
> > the subject says it all. If yes, I will start adding some for the ones
> IMHO that's a good idea.
I have added this one as a TODO on my list. What version-number should
we give our DLLs. Some of them have already version, probably to
get rid of any problem in the nearby future, for programs that check the

Should we give our DLLs the highest version currently available on all
of the windows-versions (95 .... W2K3)? This will mean that someone (me
?) has to go over them from time to time to check whether this has
changed. I do think (apart from the extra work) that it look better than

Maybe we should add some comments in the version resource files like:

/* Windows-version    Date Checked    Version
 * 95
 * 98
 * WinXP              08/21/05        5.1.2600.2180
 * Win2K
 * Win2K3

Any ideas, suggestions ?