The recent include/wine/wined3d_types.h changes

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at
Fri Aug 26 12:28:19 CDT 2005

--- Gerald Pfeifer <gerald at> wrote:

> The following patch to include/wine/wined3d_types.h

> triggers the following warning in IDirect3D8Impl_CreateDevice():
>   directx.c:670: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
>   directx.c:678: warning: assignment from incompatible pointer type
Ok, I'll send in a patch to fix this.

> Both  D3DFORMAT and WINED3DFORMAT are enums, so indeed assigning one
> to the other seems a bit strange, if not dangerous.  Is the change
> as such really correct?

The problem is that Microsoft changes what D3DFORMAT are valid between Direct3D releases, DirectX
9 is missing some formats that are in DirectX 8 and DirectX 8 is missing some formats that are in
DirectX 9.

To work around this a new enum WINED3DFORMAT was created that includes all the types valid for
DirectX 8 as well as those valid for DirectX 9. Because DirectX 8/9's D3DFORMATs are a subset of
WINED3DFORMAT DirectX 8/9's D3DFORMAT can be cast to WINED3DFORMAT without any problems.

Texture states are similar to this, except that when DirectX 8 is moved over to using wined3d a
switch will be required to send those states that are sampler states in DirectX 9 to wined3d
SetSamplerState instead of SetTextureStageState.