[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points? => HAL-Support

Detlef Riekenberg wine.dev at web.de
Sat Aug 27 18:30:47 CDT 2005

Am Samstag, den 27.08.2005, 14:38 -0700 schrieb Hiji:

> It might be the ugly way, but it is the official way.

That's because many Applications are unable to handle it yet.

> This is definately *not* a Wine issue because it
> affects any application which relies on have a static
> name for the drive - let's make sure we're clear on
> that. ;)
This is not only a Wine issue, it's an issue of all applications which
relies on static names.
The big mistake: The Volume-Label is optional.

It's possible on windows (since w2k) to work without a Driveletter for
your CDROM, ("%SYSTEMROOT%\mountpoint") but they made the same mistake:
Using a mountpoint (junction) is optional.
When they used the mountpoint-method as default and the
driveletter-method as optional fallback for old applications, then all
important software would work today without an extra driveletter for
removeable media.

It's time to be more flexible. freedesktop.org did a step in the
direction, now the applications must follow!

> I suspect this "mounting by volume label"
> won't last past Suse 9.3 since

.. and go backwards? No way!

> I haven't read anyone
> praise this "feature" anywhere.

That's the same when /dev/cdrom or /cdrom comes up as a link to the real
device. It doesn't matter, on which controller, port and id your drive
is connected; it just works.
The link comes up and step by step more applications using this.

And think about logical-volumes.
Go backwards, because the admin will define on his own, which physical
drive is used and mounted to a specific location?
Logical volumes are present for ages in Novell Netware and other
systems, arrived Windows since w2k and are working in linux for some
years now.

By By ...
      ... Detlef