Theming Support

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sun Aug 28 07:42:58 CDT 2005

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 14:21:39 +0000, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> Btw, I have a really dumb question: How do I use a .msstyle theme? I know
> that this would better asked on wine-users, but now theming was mentioned
> I ask here.

Brian, praise be to his name, explains this in the latest WWN issue. He
also posted some screenshots, though the theme he used is IMO a bit ugly
:) At work I am using ReLuna Blue which is really nice.

> I'd like to see a QT theme bridge too, but a gtk bridge would for the
> start as there's a qt->gtk theme translator.

That might be hard. Qt is GPLd, so it cannot be linked against proprietary
code. However TrollTechs intention was clearly to make money off a free
toolkit which is a good business model. I doubt they'd care if somebody
did a Wine theming bridge, even if it's technically against the rules.

Another issue is that Qt does not have a particularly good track record
of binary compatibility - not entirely TrollTechs fault of course, but
still, I suspect it might be hard to get into CVS and products like
Crossover and the mythical as-yet-unwritten Wine autopackage could not
distribute it.

thanks -mike