Web Server Back Online

Jeremy Newman jnewman at codeweavers.com
Wed Aug 31 11:59:23 CDT 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-31 at 19:24 +0300, Saulius Krasuckas wrote:
> Hm.  The page shows it's type as "x-patch".  Even pine on my mail server
> knows it is a text file which can be easily viewed.  Still winehq
> server/mail-manager converts the type to "application/octet-stream".

> May it have something to do with the content of /etc/mime* ?

No, it's simple really. Pipermail stores all attachments in as .bin files. I believe this is to prevent any
possible server hacks by emailing attachments that could get executed locally by the server.
This was possible in hypermail by emailing a .cgi or a .php file. When you click that link the file would be executed.
I worked around it by disabling those extensions in the directories where hypermail is.

When you click the link, apache sees .bin, which will always return a mime type of application/octet-stream.

The only way to work around that is for pipermail to use a cgi program which would send the correct mime type when you download a file.