include/guiddef.h: C++ compatibility patch

Troy Rollo troy at rollo.com
Wed Aug 31 15:46:22 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 31 August 2005 19:10, Dmitry Timoshkov wrote:
onst GUID name

> PSDK has 'extern' for both C and CPP cases, just the CPP one has 'extern
> "C"'. We have to use the same approach.

Why? We have to get the same *result*, but that doesn't mean we have to have
the same *code*.

'extern "C"' on a non-member non-function global is perfectly meaningless to
most C++ compilers. As far as I am aware, only MSVC++ mangles global
variables. The 'extern "C"' is thus there to deal with a broken feature of
the MSVC++ compiler, and is not applicable here unless somebody wants to
compile C++ for Winelib using MSVC++ without the PSDK - something which I
suspect would have many more obstacles in its path than just this.

Unless there is a functional reason for doing exactly what is done in the PSDK
we should actually avoid, as far as possible, doing so. We walk a fine line
as it is on copyright law. Copying form that is not dictated by function
takes us into more dangerous territory (see  Feist Publications v Rural
Telephone Service).
--
troy at rollo.com - Sydney, Australia