josystick driver layer and support of multiple devices of one kind

Eric Pouech eric.pouech at wanadoo.fr
Wed Dec 7 16:02:14 CST 2005

> so my questions:
>
> - i this an approach, that would be acceptablefor wine? so if i start on
>   something like this, is there a chance it would be submitted to the
>   tree - or is there a problem in terms of "wine does not work like this
>   and we would ignore such an approach"
>
> - is the sound-system of wine with its lots of implementations a place
>   to get ideas for such a change; or is this totally off, because the
>   user only chooses one driver to use (instead of: only build the driver
>   if appropriate and then let each driver search for hardware)

there are several questions:
- share as much as possible code between dinput and winmm (you have to
choose which one could call the other)
- how to abstract the interfaces: ddk is your friend. for the winmm
part, check the include/mmddk.h, and dlls/winmm/joystick (the joystick
driver). there's in it all what you need (google will help too).
- from the MM experience, don't recreate a separate driver for each
known HW or interface, but rather stick everything in a single driver,
and handle the complexity here

A+
--
Eric Pouech