Crashes with TPB reader

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Mon Dec 12 01:40:55 CST 2005

Pierre Ossman wrote:

> My problem is that the program TPB reader
> (http://www.daisy.org/tpbreader/download.asp?lang=en), a DAISY book
> reader, crashes in different exotic ways. It fails in different ways
> depending on if I run it in wine or crossover.
>
> In crossover the application starts but displays the error:
>
>     Run-time error '287':
>     Application-defined or object-defined error.
>
> If I enable some more output (CX_DEBUGMSG=err+all,fixme+all), then it
> behaves differently. Now I get:
>
>     Run-time error '-1 (ffffffff)':
>     Automation error
>
> After a few seconds another one pops up:
>
>     Run-time error '448':
>     Named argument not found
>
> The first error can also be replicated by piping debug output to a
> file. I managed to get dumps of both cases (cx1.dump, cx2.dump).
>

> Now the question is if anyone here can give me a guess at what the
> problem is? Our primary concern is too determine if it will require
> more effort to fix wine/crossover to support this application or to
> write a new, native DAISY reader. So just being able to determine
> which function is lacking would be a tremendous help.

This looks like a VB app, correct? It sounds like it would be quite a
bit of work to write a native DAISY reader. My guess is that the error
is coming from dlls/oleaut32/typeinfo.c:ITypeInfo_fnInvoke. It could be
caused by another oleaut32 function as well though. I don't have time to
debug the issue myself, but I can give you pointers for where to look if
you want to debug it yourself. Alternatively, I can also direct you to
the CodeWeavers website if you would consider paying us to get the
application working for you.

--
Rob Shearman