gethostbyname(my_name) and IL2-Sturmovik

Pavel Troller patrol at
Tue Dec 13 09:45:32 CST 2005

> On 12/13/05, David Nolden < at> wrote:
> > @Pavel  Troller
> > I've checkt the /etc/hosts now. You were right, it says
> >
> >       localhost.localdomain   localhost       Zwirch
> >
> > (With Zwirch the Name of this Computer)
> >
> > But I can't just statically rewrite it, because I use DHCP. Also this is a
> > fresh Ubuntu-Install, so I'm surely not the only
> > Wine-User with such an /etc/hosts..
> >
> This link may be of interest:
> Tom
  Yes, it uncovers even more problems with the /etc/hosts file on many
distributions (hey, I'm sooooo happy that I'm maintaining my own private
distro, independently of all the "big players" on the market :-) ).
  However, your link talks mainly about localhost.localdomain. I am even more
strict and I'm saying that the host name also should not be there.
  And because I know that the host name should be assigned to EXACTLY ONE
network interface, it is a reason that in my distro, when there are no public
if's active, a dummy0 comes up and the host name is assigned to it. This if
holds an address DIFFERENT from localhost ( is used as a
preconfigured default on a fresh install).
  Once more, please don't patch wine, it's evidently not its problem at all!
             With regards, Pavel Troller