Outreach to windows ISVs

Francois Gouget fgouget at codeweavers.com
Wed Dec 14 11:45:32 CST 2005

Hi,

Dan Kegel wrote:
[...]
> The page is at
>    http://kegel.com/wine/isv/
> Comments, anyone?

 From this page:

 > Wine is fully commercially supported. You or your customers can
 > purchase yearly per-seat support contracts from Codeweavers or
 > other companies if you need it.

While that's quite correct and just what a company who is trying to
deploy Linux on its desktop needs, I think an ISV would be more
interested in CodeWeavers' porting services, as described on this page:

http://www.codeweavers.com/services/engagements/wine_port/

 > Because Wine is still in beta, it is likely that it will have some
 > issues running your application at first.

I would say that this will be true even after Wine is no longer in beta.
I'd liken it to taking an application that was developped in 1995 when
Windows 95 just came out, and trying to run it on Windows XP SP2. It's
just and environment the application was never tested in and that may
reveal bugs in the application, incorrect assumptions, or differences in
the behavior of the two Windows versions. All these issues can exist
with Wine just to an even greater degree. The good news there is that
you as an ISV one gets to choose whether to modify the application to
avoid trouble areas or whether to modify/fix Wine (though the latter is
encouraged).

Regards,

--
Francois Gouget