Create new mailing list wine-isv?

Michael Jung mjung at iss.tu-darmstadt.de
Fri Dec 16 04:49:23 CST 2005

On Friday 16 December 2005 10:49, Peter Beutner wrote:
> Wine is _not_ just a different toolkit. Just look at all the "nasty" stuff
> wine has to do to emulate the windows process environment.

I guess in the long term a project like wine, if successfull, doesn't have to
live with the restrictions put up by the environment. If I understand
correctly, the reason we have to do this nasty stuff, is because the kernel
is missing functionality, which the NT kernel provides. Linus has stated that
he thinks the Wine project is pivotal for Linux success as a desktop
operation system. The kernel guys have been pretty cooperative before and I'm
sure if we tell them what we need, or even better help out implementing it,
Wine could be just another toolkit, perfectly well integrated _with_ the
Linux environment.

> As long as wine doesn't break. And we all have seen how easy wine gets
> messed up when something in underlying linux software changes. May it be
> the kernel or X.

"Success is measured by your ability to maintain enthusiasm between failures."
- Sir Winston Churchill

Bye,
--
Michael Jung