Error at end of app install: can't open builtin library for regsvr32.exe...

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Sat Dec 17 00:20:34 CST 2005

On 12/16/05, Vitaliy Margolen <wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:
> > $ wine/wine .wine/drive_c/windows/system32/regsvr32.exe
> > wine: cannot open builtin library for
> > L"Z:\\home\\dank\\.wine\\drive_c\\windows\\system32\\regsvr32.exe":
> > /home/dank/wine/programs/regsvr32.exe.so: invalid ELF header
>
> Yeah. The only time I have seen this message in relation to regsvr32.exe
> is only when Wine's builtin regsvr32.exe.so was overwritten with native
> PE executable.  ...
> In this case I don't know then what is going on. Could you follow all the
> symlinks and verify that it is in fact ELF? Also can you remove this file
> and remake it? If it is ELF it must be corrupted in some way.

No, it's ELF, and it's not corrupted.  As I wrote a few posts ago,
the problem was caused by having an old copy of wine installed
in /usr/local while running a new copy of wine from the build
directory.  Removing the old copy, and installing wine from the
build directory, fixes the problem; I can then run regsvr32 from
either the build directory or the installed copy without problems.

Nasty little troubleshooting problem.   I guess I have to be a lot
more careful, and make sure to uninstall all old copies of wine
before running new builds without installing.
- Dan