Bug 3885

Tom Spear speeddymon at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 16:35:46 CST 2005

Aric Cyr wrote:
>>>I took a look at the D3D_OK hack, and I believe the problem to be
>>>CheckDeviceFormat in wined3d/directx.c.  This function should return an error if
>>>D3DFMT_D32 is checked for on cards which don't support 32bit depth.  Currently
>>>it just returns OK for most formats though.  This code is really just a stub as
>>>it stands, and needs to be converted to check if there are any visuals that meet
>>>the requested format's requirements, and if there is, return D3D_OK, otherwise
>>>D3D_NOTAVAILBLE.
>>>
>>>To test my theory, try returning D3D_NOTAVAILABLE for the D3DFMT_D32 case
>>>(you'll need to add it) in wined3d/directx.c in IWineD3DImpl_CheckDeviceFormat()
>>>and see if that fixes that issue or not.  This would be just another hack
>>>though, so a real patch would still be necessary as I decribed above.

Well I took a stab at adding the case for D3DFMT_D32, to the bottom of
the other cases, and let it return the D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE (as opposed
to D3D_NOTAVAILABLE), and ran the benchmarks again..  Now it finishes
the first one and then goes to do the second one, but crashes in a
different spot, so it seems we also have some stack corrupion (as was
mentioned in the bug)..  So that hack works for now, I would suggest
that since the rest of that code is stubbed out, we should probably go
ahead and submit a patch so we can at least run the darn thing and then
start debugging the stack corruption issue.

I should add that on the first run, I disabled the title screens between
benchmarks, and changed the "Display and CPU Settings" so that I was
using 32-bit textures and triple buffering, and it ran thru several of
the tests, while on the 2nd and 3rd runs, I left all settings at
defaults; during run 2, it died just after the title screen for mark #2,
and during run 3, it died in the middle of mark #2...