[lostwages] Remove winetools from download page

wino at piments.com wino at piments.com
Fri Dec 23 12:36:16 CST 2005

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:24:56 +0100, Vitaliy Margolen
<wine-devel at kievinfo.com> wrote:

> There were case in US when family of someone killed with such a tool sued
> manufacturer if said tool.

Yeah , and someone put thier poddle in the microwave and sued. Take that
sort of judgement too seriously and you daren't step out of bed.

> So pls don't start this BS about winetools are good, they
> help users but use them on your own risk agreeing that you comply with
> all licenses.

I dont ever recall saying winetools was good, but I think choice is.

> Authors of winetools know well and good that majority of it's users do
> not have valid win98 licence.

Do they? How? Do wine devs "know that the majority" of thier users dont
even have a licence for Office? Be careful you are not constructing a
legal case to shut down wine!

I would have thought with the ammount of decommisioned win98 installations
in the world anyone who even vaguely wanted a licence could get one for $2.

I have a couple on the shelf and I dont even have a win98 box. So I can
legally use winetools or sidenet to install dcom98 or whatever.

Sticking to the technical critisisms of winetools would be wiser and
fairer.

>> If you have user problems with using Wine, please, don't hesitate, and
>> _list_ them here.

Well that's the biggest joke after the way you shot me down in flames last
time you _misinterpreted_ one of my posts here as a "users cry for help".

Talk about bullshit . Maybe that's just your inflamatory style of writing.

>> User is too of abstract word, talk about yourself first.

Well I'm not talking about myself , I have enough experience to tackle a
lot of the debugging needed. What I see around me in my personal contacts
is a lot of real people , non-geek users (for want of a better term) who
are at a complete loss without something like winetools/sidenet to get
them running.

>> Last time I've checked this _is_ the place to discuss such a topic.
"No. I'm still insisting on removing winetools from the download page."

That's discussion? Maybe you just dont choose your words well and give the
wrong impression.

Of course winetools is not _real_ quality software like the patches you
write so has no right whatsoever to be seen anywhere near your work
because it may get some undue reflected glory.

And anyone who has not written patches for wine is talking BS and doesn't
count either.

I can see the userbase shrinking as I write.

I suppose everyone needs to feel important somewhere - some more than
others.