Regression in MSI

Aric Cyr Aric.Cyr at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 20:47:23 CST 2005

Sergei Rozhkov <sergei_rozhkov <at> mail.ru> writes:

> I think, I found a regression in msi (0.9.3 -> 0.9.4).
> When I launch Syberia's setup.exe there was 87:
> "fixme:ole:ITypeInfo_fnRelease destroy child objects",
> displayed InstallShield Wizard with empty progress bar and stuck.
> Than I tryed morrowind - again 87:
> "fixme:ole:ITypeInfo_fnRelease destroy child objects",
> displayed InstallShield Wizard with two filled sells in progress bar and
> stuck with that:
> err:ole:marshal_object object doesn't expose interface
> {be6115a1-7de5-48dc-ad2a-25060e00fce2}, failing with error 0x80004002
> err:ole:ClientIdentity_QueryMultipleInterfaces
> IRemUnknown_RemQueryInterface failed with error 0x80004002
> err:ole:marshal_object object doesn't expose interface
> {be6115a1-7de5-48dc-ad2a-25060e00fce2}, failing with error 0x80004002
> err:ole:ClientIdentity_QueryMultipleInterfaces
> IRemUnknown_RemQueryInterface failed with error 0x80004002
> Than I tryed Evil Islands - exactly the same.
> All this apps installed in previous versions.
> ---
> Sorry For My English and if I posted in wrong place || wrong time, or if
> I'm wrong.

I've been having problems with most installers as well, and noted that there
were (at least) two things I had to do to get them to work at all:

1) normally I run with LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8 on my system, but to get installers
and other things to work with wine (especially input field type stuff) I have to
run wine as "LC_ALL=C wine".  I suspect IMM problems are the reason for this,
but haven't tracked it down.

2) for some reason I cannot install onto my FAT partition.  I have /mnt/dose
mapped in Wine as e:\ (oddly enough), and if I try to install _anything_ onto
it, it fails shortly after the first file or two gets copied.  _But_ if I
install to my wine-drive (~/.wine/drive_c mapped as c:\) then all works just
fine.  This is rather annoying as my home drive is getting low on space and
installing large game demos for wined3d testing (which I normally put on e:\)
suck up a lot of space.

So Sergei:  try installing to a Linux partition, and run wine with your locale
set to C (or POSIX I imagine), and see if that helps.

Regards,
  Aric