a more native host environment

Vitaliy Margolen wine-devel at kievinfo.com
Wed Dec 28 14:59:19 CST 2005

Wednesday, December 28, 2005, 12:22:07 PM, Justin Lesarge wrote:

> I'd like to see wine produce real PE dll files that
> use unix system calls as a back end.  For example, a
> real kernel32.dll in PE format that maps at the same
> addresses as the windows XP version, and so on.
That's not the way it works. kernel32.dll doesn't call kernel directly.
It's calling ntdll.dll instead. And why would you need same addresses?

> PE executables could be seamlessly loaded with an ibcs
> extension and properly linked against wine's real PE
> system dlls.
Hm well you can't just load one dll. You have to setup whole environment
for Wine to work, start wineserver.

> Adapting wine to that sort of architecture would make
> it as native as real windows, and the bulk of wine's
> sources wouldn't need to be edited.

May I ask why do you need suck a huge complication to Wine project? If
you just need Wine's dlls compiled as native - look on download page.
Unless I'm missing the point of this exercise.

Vitaliy