Update: olepicture.c compile failure : `UserData' / `DGifOpen'

Rizwan Kassim rizwank at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 01:29:43 CST 2005

An update to my previous posting:

Steps:
1) Install debian-stable-latest.
2) get Wine directly off the CVS server (version used Jan 31 2005 22:52p PST)
3) configure, make depend, make.

The following results in dlls/oleaut32:

gcc -c -I. -I. -I../../include -I../../include  -D__WINESRC__
-D_OLEAUT32_ -DCOM_NO_WINDOWS_H -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -Wall -pipe
-mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -fno-strict-aliasing -gstabs+
-Wpointer-arith  -g -O2 -o olepicture.o olepicture.c
In file included from /usr/include/jpeglib.h:24,
                from olepicture.c:85:
/usr/include/jconfig.h:12: warning: `HAVE_STDLIB_H' redefined
../../include/config.h:541: warning: this is the location of the
previous definition
olepicture.c:898: `DGifOpen' undeclared here (not in a function)
olepicture.c:898: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `pDGifOpen'
olepicture.c: In function `_gif_inputfunc':
olepicture.c:930: structure has no member named `UserData'
olepicture.c: In function `OLEPictureImpl_Load':
olepicture.c:1040: called object is not a function
olepicture.c:1070: structure has no member named `Function'
olepicture.c:1018: warning: `gif' might be used uninitialized in this function
make[2]: *** [olepicture.o] Error 1

jconfig.h just seems like a "bad citizen" - #undef HAVE_STDLIB_H
before it redefines it works fine.

Of greater concern is the issues with DGifOpen.

It seems that configure approves of vesrion 3.0.0 of libungif.so /
gif_lib.h, but compile fails using 3.0.0. DGifOpen
gif_lib.h 4.0.0 compiles correctly (even without updating libungif.so,
but afaik thats pretty poor practice)

The gif_lib.h that configure approves of is labeled version 3.0 by
Eric S Raymond.

(from gif_lib.h - 4.0.0 :
GifFileType *DGifOpen(void *userPtr, InputFunc readFunc);    /* new one

Interestingly, it seems that configure DOES show the failure during
the test compile:

config.log:
configure:15570: test -s conftest
configure:15573: $? = 0
configure:15590: result: libjpeg.so.62
configure:15599: checking for -lungif soname
configure:15629: gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c -lungif   >&5
/tmp/ccdg49tg.o: In function `main':
/home/rizwank/wine/conftest.c:155: undefined reference to `DGifOpen'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:15635: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
<snip confdefs.h and a few more lines>
configure:15738: result: libgif.so

=======

Now, looking through config.log, I noticed a number of various errors
that didn't lead to compile errors in wine, but this one did. (its
easy to quelch the error, copy a new lib_gif.h to dlls/oleaut32. I'd
assume that new libraries would be smart; while oleauto32/tests
doesn't report any errors with using 4.0 of lib_gif.h and 3.0 of
libungif.so, it doesn't seem to actually test any of the olepicture
calls just yet).

So, whats the next step? Should it be a critical error for configure?
Should configure report the incorrect gif_lib.h (and old libungif)?
I'm new enough to OSS projects that I'm not sure if I should :
a) attempt to patch configure to report the error and stop the configure process
b) patch olepicture.c to stop using DGifOpen
c) submit gif_lib.h to the tree in dlls/oleaut32

This has been (partially) reported as Bug 1730 and 2437.

Any input would be totally appreciated!

Rizwan

(outputs of configure, make depend, make and make test, as well as
config.log and config.status are available at
http://www.geekymedia.com/twiki/bin/view.cgi/WineDev/LugWine )
--
Thank you,
Rizwan Kassim

Octal is the way God meant programmers to count - the thumbs are parity bits.