NPTL and Wine threads

Dan Kegel dank at
Tue Feb 1 08:56:57 CST 2005

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>>there is some code in FreeDCE which expects to be able to jump out
>>>of a cancellation handler
>>Then FreeDCE should be fixed to be POSIX-compliant, I think.
>>Or is there something subtle going on here?
>  the behaviour of LinuxThreads is different from NPTL.
>  therefore, given that this cancellation thing matters for dce
>  applications (the runtime relies on it being possible) i thought
>  you might wish to be aware of this subtle difference in case
>  Wine MSRPC or other applications also rely on it.
>  that's all - nothing more.

Right.  Nothing subtle, then.  I guess FreeDCE needs some
work to run on NPTL or other POSIX-compliant threads packages,
as it's using Linuxthreads behavior that is an extension of POSIX threads.
(Surely FreeDCE doesn't *need* to longjmp out of a cancellation handler;
it can't be that hard to fix.)  Thanks for the heads up.
- Dan

Trying to get a job as a c++ developer?  See