NPTL and Wine threads

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Feb 1 10:38:22 CST 2005

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 06:56:57AM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:

> >>Then FreeDCE should be fixed to be POSIX-compliant, I think.
> >>Or is there something subtle going on here?
> >

> > the behaviour of LinuxThreads is different from NPTL.
> >
> > therefore, given that this cancellation thing matters for dce
> > applications (the runtime relies on it being possible) i thought
> > you might wish to be aware of this subtle difference in case
> > Wine MSRPC or other applications also rely on it.
> >
> > that's all - nothing more.
>
> Right.  Nothing subtle, then.  I guess FreeDCE needs some
> work to run on NPTL or other POSIX-compliant threads packages,

 *sigh*.  yes.  depends on your version of POSIX (final or draft 4).

 loic is working on keeping dcethreads "current", at least.

 there are approx 350 occurrences of pthread_somethingorother in
 FreeDCE, so it's not a trivial task, more's the pity.

> as it's using Linuxthreads behavior that is an extension of POSIX threads.
> (Surely FreeDCE doesn't *need* to longjmp out of a cancellation handler;

 it's the dcethreads (posix draft 4) emulation library that
 handles that, from what i can gather.

> it can't be that hard to fix.)  Thanks for the heads up.

 ack.