Question about TrueType rendering

Eric Frias efrias at syncad.com
Mon Feb 7 10:38:05 CST 2005

I'm trying to get winelib working on a platform whose X server doesn't
have native support for TrueType fonts.  I've configured wine with
freetype, but it never seems to display the TrueType fonts.  I don't
have xfsft or xfstt installed.

Should I expect this to work?  I don't understand whether Wine uses the
freetype library to render TrueType fonts, or if it just uses it for
some other purpose (like getting metrics) and still depends on the font
server to render the fonts.

I see messages like this when wine starts, so it looks like wine is
finding my fonts, but when I Call CreateFont("Arial"), it never maps to
a TrueType font:

trace:font:ReadFontDir Found "arial.ttf" in
"/devel/syncad/.SynaptiCAD/mnt/c/windows/Fonts"
trace:font:AddFontFileToList Loading font file
"/devel/syncad/.SynaptiCAD/mnt/c/windows/Fonts/arial.ttf" index 0
trace:font:AddFontFileToList fsCsb = 400001ff ffff0000/00007a87 80000000
00000008 00000000
trace:font:AddFontFileToList Added font L"Arial" L"Regular"

Is it still necessary to run xfsft to use these fonts, or should wine be
able to use them on its own?

Thanks,
Eric