Re-examining SetThreadContext

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Mon Feb 7 11:04:15 CST 2005

Mike Hearn <mh at> writes:

> So I'd be surprised if any app actually relies on being able to do
> those things, as it's either not allowed or the results are likely to
> be garbage.

Well, you'll be surprised. In the general case the results may well be
unpredictable but there are lots of cases where they are perfectly
predictable, and some apps do rely on that.

> As for a thread setting its own context, I think it'd be OK to check
> for that and do a FIXME for now. That way if an app really tries to do
> it, we can use some custom assembly to achieve the right effect
> without getting the wineserver involved.

No need for a FIXME, we already know that some apps do it. Also custom
assembly is not enough, for instance you can't set debug registers
that way.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at