[shell32tests/shelllink.c] Use aliases for ordinals (resend/rediff)

Paul Millar paulm at astro.gla.ac.uk
Wed Feb 16 19:06:39 CST 2005

Ultimately, its about choice.  Both methods have some merit.

Currently the time-to-patch (ttp 2-3 days?) is less than the
mean-time-between-breakage (mtbb ~14 days).  This gives us the luxury
of fixing MinGW as we find new holes in it.

If these two time-scales become comparable, then we're in a realm
where things are breaking as fast as we can patch them and we would
be constantly battling to get a version of MinGW that can produce a
winetest.exe.

My *guess* is that on average, the mtbb will decrease, whilst ttp
remains constant.  That's what it feels like.  However, we can wait
and see what happens  :^)

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 12:35, Filip Navara wrote:
> BTW, are there any (other) unofficial Wine patches for the MinGW
> W32API package?

Yes.

Both Hans Leidekker and myself have a suite of patches; mine are
unashamedly taken from Hans (many thanks!) and I don't think there is
any difference between our patch-set.

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 22:25, Francois Gouget wrote:
> So winetest surely cannot remain broken for a long time.

No, in fact its now working again, now.  Just doing an end-to-end test
right now.

> Finally it's just not the Wine way.

OK, fair point.  But, there's two aspects: testing the MinGW code and
the winetest.exe compilation service.  Whilst ttp < mtbb - \delta,
the service works and we can do it the Wine way (the \delta is so
people retain their sanity ;)

On Wednesday 16 February 2005 18:39, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Actually no, fixing MinGW is a very desirable side-effect of
> cross-compiling our tests. If we find bugs in MinGW they should be
> fixed, not worked around.

OK, sure.

I think it might be worth trying to push some of these patches
up-stream again.  That way, we are actually fixing MinGW.

Paul.
(as usual, just my 2c worth)