Microsoft genuine downloads looking for wine

Ge van Geldorp gvg at reactos.com
Wed Feb 16 22:04:18 CST 2005

> From: Ivan Leo Puoti
>
> Interestingly if you run the validation program on wine,
> and the version of windows you're emulating is prior to
> 2000 or is windows server 20003, you get a message saying
> a validation code couldn't be found, because of technical
> difficulties or because you're running an unsupported
> operating system.
> If you set winver to win2000, you'll get a validation code
> that doesn't work, this may be a bug in wine, or in the
> validation program.

When I run the validation program on my genuine Win2k system, I get the
message saying a validation code couldn't be found because of technical
difficulties or because I'm running an unsupported operating system.
When using IE and thus the ActiveX control there is no problem and my
Windows is recognized as genuine.
Looks to me the standalone validation program is seriously broken....

Gé van Geldorp.