Microsoft genuine downloads looking for wine

Shachar Shemesh wine-devel at
Wed Feb 16 23:45:11 CST 2005

Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:

> A valid and working code is returned if the version is set to xp.
> Still, even if this is only an initial attempt, they
> appear to want to discriminate wine users, while this may be
> acceptable for operating system components/updates,
> this is probably a violation of anti-trust law for all other
> downloads. It's also the first time Microsoft acknowledges the
> existence of Wine.
> Ivan Leo.

Let's wait until they actually do something bad before we go around
accusing them, shall we?

In any case, at least from a technical point of view, going around such
test ought to be fairly simple.

Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.
Have you backed up today's work?