vartest.c - major pain in the build process

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Feb 26 09:53:27 CST 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:56:56 +0100, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> well, 25 minutes for a single file and 25 minutes for the rest of the tree? :)

It doesn't take 25 minutes here, how much memory do you have? It takes
more like 5, which is still excessive :(

I disable winetest in my tree entirely, and have done for a long time. It
should be disabled in CVS as well, nobody should be building winetest on
Linux, it just encourages people to submit useless results by saying "oooh
I wonder what happens if I do this". Worse this isn't just about it taking
too long, on my machine attempting to compile winetest actually crushes
it totally. It descends into swap hell and never seems to re-emerge.

I don't think having to hack the build system to avoid a full system hang
is really a good thing, even if it is the kernels fault.

thanks -mike