Native unix style paths in wine common dialogs

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Jan 4 11:29:10 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 12:11 -0500, Dimitrie O. Paun wrote:
> Actually, there are two independent issues here:
>   1. How paths are presented to the user
>      This is user preference, and should be a registry setting

Yeah. It'd be nice to improve this, but we're limited by the dumb design
of the open dialog API. We can't change its UI design very much and we
can't use native file dialogs because apps can customise them. Unless
we're OK with apps having a mix of native and win32 dialogs of course.

There's also the confusion from selecting /home/mike/Foo.doc in the open
dialog but having the title bar say X:\foo.doc or whatever.

>   2. How paths are presented to the app
>      This is something that needs to be per app. One way to do it
>      would be to follow Miscrosoft and ornate apps somehow (the
>      same they do for themable apps) via some sort of manifest
>      that would request Unix paths instead of DOS ones. Same
>      mechanism could be used for other things, like requesting
>      native open dialogs instead of ours, etc.

Mmmm, the manifest thing seems horribly complicated to me. Seems like a
use of XML just for the sake of it. When extending win32 we don't have
to follow their dubious design decisions  (one reason why I'm not keen
on magic PIDLs and such).

thanks -mike