comctl32.dll and commctrl.dll

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Fri Jan 7 08:53:18 CST 2005

Rob Shearman wrote:
> Dripple wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a newbie in wine using and wine developpement. I just need
>> information about comctl32.dll and commctrl.dll.
>>
>> I'm trying to have this app
>> (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1485&versionId=2451) working.
>> In fact, it works. But only using native comctl32.dll, which requires
>> native commctrl.dll.

<snip>
>> Is it planned to fix commctrl.dll, to avoid piracy ?
>

> You probably shouldn't admit to copyright infringement on a public
> mailing list.
>
> Rob

I think you're jumping to conclusions, Rob; here's the info on the
program (from the link)

Description
Full up-to-date collection of the Watchtower Bible & Tracts Society
publications ,including full text of the Bible(very precise "New World
Translation of the Hebrew & Greek Scriptures") with links,also 2-Volume
"Insight on the Scriptures" -- full encyclopedia of all biblical terms
and names,all equipped with full-featured search engine.A powerful tool
for Bible study.(Freely distributed by Jehovah's Wittnesses,no URL
available)

So the program itself appears to be free (libre), even if there's no
website to actually get it from ;-) . Now, naturally what is not freely
distributable is comctrl.dll, but there's no indication that the OP
doesn't have a Windows licence and if Dripple does have such a license,
there's no piracy involved, afaik. I have a Win98 licence, insofar as I
have a retail copy of Win98 that I bought 5 years ago-- I can copy the
comctrl.dll that is on that disk to my Wine installation without
breaking any laws, can't I? (Please tell me if not, so I won't do it
again ;-) ).

Holly