Wine(server) priority inversion on CK kernel mailing list

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sun Jan 9 09:52:30 CST 2005

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 09:20:46 -0600, Jeremy White wrote:
> On my todo list is an item to start a conversation with
> the Kernel guys about these scheduling differences,
> and to see if we can ask for a few tuning hooks to help
> us better match Windows.  But I keep trying to goad
> Alexandre into doing it, and he keeps reminding me that
> I'm not supposed to bother him with anything until after
> the Window Manager rewrite is done... <grin>.
>
> But they seem receptive right now, so maybe I'll see
> what I can do.

There seem to be a bunch of things we want/need from the kernel guys,
maybe we should try making a list of what we'd like to have and send it
all at once? Things I'm aware of:

- An mmap API that lets us specify the range we want to allow
- NT style scheduling (2.4 style, basically/round robin)
- Mike M was talking about a new type of kernel wait object to avoid the
  need to roundtrip to the wineserver for certain types of block/release
  and I think he even had a patch for it.
- The flags Linus talked about with the Samba team for helping us map
  case-insensitive filing systems onto case-sensitive ones.

I am tempted to suggest we have a kernel-hacking session rather than ask
Linus and his gang to do it for us, but these all seem to touch very
sensitive areas like the VM and scheduler so maybe it's best to see if
they'll do it ...