Fwd: Foobar2000 audio player Regression

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Mon Jan 10 13:33:42 CST 2005

Nick Hornback wrote:

>>>Foobar2000 worked virtually perfectly in the
>>>20041019 release, aside from some comctrl32
>>>repainting issues -- which native comctrl32.dll
>>>fixed. In 20041201 it is completely unuseable. Two
>>>major problems:
>>>
>>>1) The toolbars are completely gone. They are sort
>>>of displayed when they get activity via mouse-press
>>>or whatever, but they do not repaint correctly at
>>>all. See this screenshot for details:
>>>

>http://img20.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img20&image=w1ifoobar.gif
>

>>>2) It takes 100% cpu. In the 20041019 release, it
>>>hovered around 5% cpu (on my athlon 64 3200+),
>>>

>which
>

>>>was excellent because that beat most native linux
>>>audio players.
>>>
>>>I have since found out that if you use a the
>>>

>builtin
>

>>>comctrl32.dll, none of the window repaints at all.
>>>In previous wine releases, using the builtin
>>>comctrl32.dll would just create minor glitches (ex.
>>>the status bar wouldn't update).
>>>

>>The drawing issues look like a regression in the
>>toolbar code. I'll take
>>a look.
>>

>Is there any update on this? I just checked out the
>cvs  a couple days ago and both issues (toolbars don't
>repaint, and 100% cpu useage) are still present. The
>faulty patch, http://cvs.winehq.org/patch.py?id=14371
>as mentioned earlier still seems to be applied.

I took a quick look at it, but I came up against a number of problems:
1. The application seems to be half open-source, but the user interface
doesn't seem to in the half that is opened.
2. I assume patch linked to above is correct, but the app isn't calling
BeginPaint, which it should.
3. The app uses MFC and BeginPaint should probably be called by one of
the MFC base classes, but tracing code paths through MFC takes ages.

If you can get the programmer who wrote the application to reduce the
problem down to a simple test case with source, I might have some more
luck. Otherwise, I don't have the time to investigate it.

Rob