Q: porting driver for USB scanner - where to start?

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jan 13 17:10:11 CST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Heiko Nardmann wrote:
[...]
> I want to write a linux driver for my USB scanner which is currently not yet
> supported by sane. So I wonder where to start; where do I find detailed
> information about the Windows driver interface, esp. for USB scanners. I want
> to know which interface a driver has to offer to Windows and which
> functionality the API has to offer.

Well I think the right solution would be to add support for your scanner
to SANE. Then Wine should be able to use it using the twain dll (see
dlls/twain) which acts as a bridge to SANE.

Interfacing directly with the scanner might work using Wine's brand new
and very incomplete USB interface (I believe part of it is in setupapi)
but that would probably be more code and you would still end up writing
what is essentially a driver. In other words in either case you will
probably need the hardware specifications.