Writing a driver for scanners

gslink gslink at one.net
Fri Jan 14 08:56:37 CST 2005

The other day I came across a wrapper for wireless lan drivers that uses
the XP driver and loads it into Linux.  Driver interfaces in Windows are
fairly standard for a certain type of device.  I suggest you look on the
web for sites that list drivers and see if something like this is
available.  If it is not then add to the wifi wrapper so that it handles
the XP or 2000 driver that came with your scanner.  The resulting code
would be very valuable to both Wine and Linux especially if it allowed
the use of an XP driver for the thousands of special devices that only
have XP drivers.
Start by looking at www.linuxdrivers.org.