DCE 1.2.2 released under LGPL license (strategically important for Wine)

Steven Edwards steven_ed4153 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 15:49:11 CST 2005

--- Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
>  _why_ are you duplicating the efforts of two separate free
>  software projects?

I have been scratching my head trying to figure out a way that Samba, Samba-Tng, ReactOS, FreeDCE
and Wine can all work together on some of these projects. I don't know much if anything about
DCE/RPC so I can only guess that all of the existing free implementations were either

A) not suited for Wine by design.

B) there were license issues.

Option B was the case of Wine developing its own IDL compiler and some of the SMB support
implemented in Wine. Samba being GPL caused quite a bit of a problem for us.

Do you Yahoo!?