DCE 1.2.2 released under LGPL license (strategically important for Wine)

Rob Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Mon Jan 17 21:46:33 CST 2005

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 05:51:54PM -0600, Rob Shearman wrote:
>

>>A DCOM implementation is more than a header file
>>containing a few comments and a few declarations of Win32 functions that
>>are randomly placed in there.
>>

> perhaps it would be best for me to provide a reference to
> something i found on The Open Group's site.
>
> i assume that you (rob) are familiar with and aware of these
> documents, but for the benefit of those people who are not
> or might not be, i found these in some [accidental!] research
> last week and tonight.
>
>  http://archive.opengroup.org/dce/meetings/july98/FrankHayes/index.htm
>  http://www.opengroup.org/comsource/
>  http://www.opengroup.org/pubs/catalog/ax01.htm

Thanks. The last link has a lot information and is not a document I'd
found before. A lot of the info in there is already covered by MSDN, but
I'm sure there's plenty that isn't. I've added it to my bookmarks for
further browsing when I've got more time.

>  FreeDCE has the plugins required to perform NTLM authenticated
>  registry management.
>
>  ... registry service, anyone?  courtesy of wine's present code as a
>  FreeDCE server?

Sure, it is perfectly possible. The RPC registry functions are pretty
much byte-for-byte compatible with the Win32 functions. I think the same
is possible using our existing DCE/RPC implementation as a base though.

Rob