Font selection logic defective?

Bill Medland billmedland at mercuryspeed.com
Wed Jan 19 19:58:59 CST 2005

On January 18, 2005 03:00 pm, Huw D M Davies wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 12:08:17PM -0800, Bill Medland wrote:
> > (Huw?)
> >
> > Do I need to dig deeper to understand this or is there a defect in the
> > logic. If there are ttf fonts available does that mean a poor ttf match
> > will be selected even when a better x11drv font is available?
>
> Yes that's right, and also intentional.  It's basically impossible to
> do proper font support with server side fonts, so if we have any fonts
> we can use on the client side then we'll do client side rendering.

But surely in my case it's still client-side rendering; it's just that it
isn't the freetype that is doing it. (NB I haven't the faintest idea what I
am talking about, of course, not knowing much about freetype)

Basically what is frustrating me here is that a client's perfectly good
Enterprise level operating system comes with a plethora of fonts, only a
couple of which are ttf and our system selects from that small list instead
of the much larger list (which presumably freetype supports but we don't) and
there is no way to stop it.  The only option available seems to me to be to
install (illegally?) the appropriate Microsoft ttf fonts (e.g. Arial).

Is there really no way of getting over this problem short of removing the
freetype.

--
Bill Medland
mailto:billmedland at mercuryspeed.com