Wine Knowledge Base

Dimitrie O. Paun dpaun at rogers.com
Sun Jan 23 12:45:39 CST 2005

On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 01:03:23PM +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
>    http://navi.cx/svn/misc/trunk/winekb/index.xml

This is nice, but I'm not sure I agree with your rationale for
not using a real Wiki.

> - Easy to improve

It is easy, but not as easy a regular Wiki. By a long shot. Moreover
a Wiki like MoinMoin is so common on the web that people know it,
and they don't have to lear yet another markup format. And you can not
compare the click-to-edit--edit--click-to-save ease of using a Wiki
with the procedure to change this one (mentioning svk, diff, mail, etc,
and you've lost 95% of people, right there).

> - Visually appealing

This is in the eye of the beholder. I am sorry, but MoinMoin doesn't
look at all that bad that it's a reason to reinvent the wheel. Besides,
a real Wiki has nice features (email notifications, history, etc) that
we are all missing with a hand-rolled one.

> - Controlled

This has been a non-argument from the beginning. Jer has been put off
by the silly FAQ-O-Matic, but that wasn't really a Wiki. There are so
many Wikis on the web that work just fine and are useful (see the Arch
Wiki, and so many others) that this has no support whatsoever. In fact,
the lack of control (and the associated ease of editting) are the very
reason to use Wikis, and we are giving these up for some irrational
fears.

Let's add a Wiki to the main site (MoinMoin in particular), and see
what happens. If it doesn't work out, we'll take it down. I'm sure
people will love it.

--
Dimi.