[Fwd: Wine-Wiki.org]

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun Jan 23 19:09:54 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 01:45 +0100, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
> My opinion is that no third party tools/web sites should be needed, at least not
> for basic stuff. Anybody that posts to a wiki can also add a comment to appdb,
> or become a maintainer.
>
> Ivan.

Frankly it means it's a bit too hard if people choose not to.  If people
are posting useful information in a wiki or user forums, it means they
find it easier to do so.

And people post a LOT in user forums.  Unfortunately, they're forums
most of us don't see: The Linux gaming forums, the Ubuntu forums, the
Something Awful forums - all have the occasional Wine post from a user
who can't seem to find the right place to ask for help, since the IRC
channel and mailing list just don't quite cut it.

I was one of those users once too.  Seriously, we need to make finding
help at Wine's page easier.  The AppDB stuff is pretty essential, and
making it more functional and usable has been a great thing, but we can
do more, since people aren't using it.

The interface in AppDB for posting might be a little too cryptic or
difficult.  Maybe the registration requirement is pushing user's away to
the Wiki.  Maybe it's hard to find AppDB on the main Wine page (it is
just that small little link "applications", afterall, which doesn't say
much about anything.)  Maybe AppDB's bizarre front page is pushing them
away.  Maybe it's hard to find the app you need.  Maybe it's not clear
how easy it is to be a maintainer, or what they do.

I'd like to thank the AppDB hackers a lot, though.  It's come a long way
rather fast.  I'd like to make some changes to make it more readable
myself, though, such as cleaning up the front page.  But even I got
scared away by the lack of template files.  Maybe we can start polishing
off that todo file :)

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie