Recruit regression testers?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Sun Jan 23 23:58:59 CST 2005

On Mon, 2005-01-24 at 04:01 +0100, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
> I think quite a few regressions get into releases, and while a few a
> tracked down
> some stay in the code for months if not years (I've heard of at least
> one game that
> worked some 2 years ago but doesn't now), while regression testing may
> seem trivial
> to a developer, it can be a challenging task for most users, especially
> if they are new to wine/Linux.
> So maybe we should recruit some people to get regression reports from
> users, find the
> patch that caused the regression, and report back to developers.
> Am I just to tired at time of writing or could this be a good idea?
>
> Ivan.

I know Fallout 1 and 2 have been broken for 7 months, and I've even
pointed the exact patch to lionel over IRC:

http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-devel/2004/12/0125.html

http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-cvs/2004/06/0029.html

The trouble is that I myself wasn't aware of it until it had been broken
for six months or so.  I agree that having good app maintainers (of
which I now am for Fallout) is very important.  Interestingly enough
Fallout was one of the first games duplicated in the Wine wiki - I'm not
sure why.

Lionel, meanwhile, needs to digup his fallout CDs to debug the app :)

Thanks a ton,
Scott Ritchie