Summary of MSRPC / DCE/RPC interoperability / Applicability of FreeDCE for Wine (DCOM)

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Jan 25 06:05:46 CST 2005

On Tue, Jan 25, 2005 at 10:36:10AM +0100, Ge van Geldorp wrote:
> > From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> >
> > what is my incentive to do that?
>
> Ehm, perhaps because it's fun? There must be something with opensource that
> makes all those volunteers want to contribute.

 yes - that and being part of something bigger than they are.

 ... trouble with that is that both Wine and Samba are small
 parts of a much larger picture that not many people understand
 or appreciate.

 i've endeavoured to give you a glimpse of that picture.

> Were you asking for funding as many times on the samba mailing lists as on
> the wine mailing lists? If so, I can begin to understand why they banned
> you, it gets _really_ annoying.

 dear ge,

 it is not my intent to annoy.

 i spent nearly four years working on samba: it _was_ fun
 (up until 2000), and there was enough incentive in the work i
 was doing for security companies (ISS) and other interested
 parties (people who needed samba to be a PDC) to employ me
 to continue to research the area i was interested in.

 that time is now over: so i am therefore focussing on other
 areas where there may be interest in funding such development.

 i thank you for your time: when i have enough spare time and money
 or if someone comes forward to provide sponsorship i will provide
 you with all the patches in the world.

 l.