[Fwd: Wine-Wiki.org]

Jonathan Ernst Jonathan at ErnstFamily.ch
Tue Jan 25 15:28:22 CST 2005

Le mardi 25 janvier 2005 à 21:13 +0100, Michael Drüing a écrit :
> Here's something I noticed when I last wanted to find some info in the
> AppDB. Browsing through the database is really well organized, but what I
> find a bit confusing was the "Rating with Windows" and "Rating without
> Windows" graphs in the version-overview of some application. What do 3 or 4
> stars there really mean? Do users like this app? use this app? Or does it
> have to do with how well the app runs under Wine? If so, then why is there a
> "rating with Windows" at all? Normally you already know/use the app you are
> looking for, and if not, you'd select an app by how well it runs in wine,
> right? So either way, you don't really care for a "Rating with Windows" (at
> least I dont ;-)

"Rating with Windows" mean rating when using a real windows partition.
This rating might have good reasons to be here in the past (when most
apps needed many native dlls) but is now regarded as a bad feature by
some of AppDB hackers. Maybe some other readers here can say what they
think about the removal of this feature ?

> What I think what would be more intuitive (at least for the "versions"
> selection page) would be something like a red, yellow or green background
> color in the table row, which then means "runs flawlessly", "runs, but with
> minor problems" or "does not run at all" (and maybe a white background for
> "untested/unknown")
> This could also be extended to 2 color boxes: "how well does the
> installation work" and "how well does the program/game itself work" (and
> maybe if for example the color is yellow and the problem is fixed recently
> then show something like "fixed in CVS HEAD" or "will work in next release"
> etc., although one would need app-maintainers for this kind of task I think)

This already exists (but no color scheme yet). Each app can now be rated
Garbage, Bronze, Silver and Gold by a maintainer or administrator. This
is a recent feature and is much more clear than "Rating with/without
Windows" IMHO. As I maintain many applications in the database, I tried
to be consistant in the way I'm describing the compatibility of each
application under wine. You can see that the installation part is
separated from the running part (see
http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1533&versionId=2230 for an
example).

What we need yet is to attract more maintainers in order to have
accurate data in the AppDB.